ADD UNIQLO —10,500 square feet of it — to the roster of stores in suburban Tysons Corner Center. The Japanese behemoth, a branch of which opened here last weekend, is one of the largest clothing chains in the world.
The sheer size and selection make it easy to become bewildered. So, let us help you navigate and narrow down the choices from the benefit of past experience.
- Despite global warming, we will have winter. Keep Uniqlo’s Heattech turtleneck ($19.99) as a comfortable, soft and close-fitting layer that can be worn under a shirt or sweater. A cold-weather go-to on the streets of D.C. (or the slopes of Vail).
- Before setting off down the Rhone River on a barge cruise, one of our group feared she would be cold with just her sailor’s windbreaker. Uniqlo in Paris to the rescue with an ultra-light down coat. Subseqently, on a late-December weekend in New York City with the same D.C. and Philadelphia-based group, a trip to the store’s Fifth Avenue location resolved winter-coat woes. A few of us sprang for warm corduroy leggings, mostly because we couldn’t resist the price.
- God bless Uniqlo for partnering with two older-women French style icons — Ines de la Fressange, the one-time muse of Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel, author of Parisian Chic City Guide, and eponymous boutique owner; and Carine Roitfeld, editor in chief of CR Fashion Book and global fashion director of Harper’s Bazaar. Their clothing collections include tailored coats and jackets, as well as print blouses and accessories, such as Carine lacy tights.
- Thanks to another partnership with Christophe Lemaire, former Hermès designer, Uniqlo offers attractive poor-boy sweaters, knit dresses and oversized, on-trend blouses.
- Finally, the cashmere v-neck sweaters in a rainbow of colors for $69.90 a piece is a too-good-to-miss deal. My significant other bought one in navy two years ago and it’s still a wardrobe staple, as well as his $2 pink socks.
Uniqlo is located at Tysons Corner Center, 1961 Chain Bridge Rd., McLean, uniqlo.com.
— Janet Kelly