THE HOLIDAYS ARE almost over. Hopefully, you still fit into your little black dress. Looking ahead to harsh winter temps, here are some skin care tips to weather the season in beauty and avoid the usual pitfalls of winter skin: flakiness, dryness, redness and discomfort.
The cold, dry air of winter can wreak havoc on your skin. The key to looking good is keeping your skin hydrated, both from the inside and from the outside.
- Remember to drink plenty of water. Especially during the holidays, I often find myself at the end of the day realizing I have had coffee and cocktails, and no water. Drinking one glass of water for every cup of coffee or glass of wine will help avoid the grayish, dry skin look.
- I love a foaming cleanser because I love to feel squeaky clean… While I might still use my favorite gel cleanser once a week, the cold weather has me adding a softer, milkier cream cleanser to my daily routine, which will help keep my skin comfortable and supple.
- Remember to use a moisturizer that is well adapted to winter weather. Again, even with my normal skin type, I use the Alchimie Forever Kantic+ Intensely Nourishing Cream daily, sometimes twice daily between December and February. I keep a jar in my bathroom, and one at the office for an afternoon pick-me up.
- Remember to exfoliate. While you may want a gentler scrub or gommage than the one you use during the rest of the year, exfoliating remains a necessary step throughout the colder months. It will help with any flakiness you might be experiencing, and will help the rest of your products work better as they will be able to penetrate more effectively.
- Eyes are the window to your soul… nothing sends a clearer message of tiredness and stress than red, puffy eyes surrounded by dark circles. I have taught myself to sleep on my back to avoid puffiness. I also always have Similasan Dry Eye Relief eye drops to keep my eyes hydrated and the whites white. And of course, an eye cream is a must, morning and evening. I love our Alchimie Forever ones of course, but sometimes cheat on them with the Lierac Liftissime Lifting Eye Serum. And for emergencies, nothing makes my eye contour party-ready like the Skyn Iceland HydroCool Firming Eye Gels. They are like 6 hours of sleep in the perfect little patch.
- Hands take a toll during the colder months. I protect mine by wearing gloves whenever I am outside and the temperature dips below 50 – and by slathering on a hand cream even more frequently than typically. Again, I am biased and love the Alchimie Forever Dry Skin Balm. But two close favorites are Clarins’ Hand and Nail Treatment, and the extra-thick Neutrogena Hand Cream.
Ada Polla is CEO and President of Alchimie Forever.